- 1 knob butter
- 6 bacon (rashers, chopped into pieces)
- 3 onions (thinly sliced)
- 200 ml double cream
- 500 grams shortcrust pastry (block, all-butter has the best flavour)
- plain flour (for duting)
- 140 grams Smoked Cheddar Cheese (hard farmhouse, half grated, half crumbled)
- 1 eggs (beaten)
- 140 grams cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan until sizzling, then add the bacon and cook for 6 mins until just starting to crisp.
- Add the onions and sweat for 10 mins until soft, sticky and golden.
- Pour in the cream, take off the heat and leave to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle a little larger than this magazine and transfer to a baking tray. Roll the edges up and press down to create a raised border.
- Tip the creamy onions into a bowl. Mix in the grated cheese and most of the beaten egg.
- Spread the mixture over the pastry, then scatter over the tomatoes and crumbled cheese.
- Brush the borders with the remaining beaten egg, then bake for 20 mins until golden.
- Leave to cool, then cut into squares.
Enjoy warm with salad